You might ask…
-What are the rules or laws regarding attendance?
For all schools, a child is required by law to attend school. If a student/s has 3 consecutive days of unexcused absences, any five unexcused absences in a semester, or seven unexcused absences in a school year, whichever comes first the student/s will be considered truant.
In elementary, attendance will be recorded 2 times during the day one in the AM and another in the PM. If student/s are out of class for more than 2 hours in the morning or afternoon session, it will be considered as a 1/2 day absence.
If your student is going to be late, or absent please notify the school as soon as possible. You can call the schools as early as 7:00 a.m., and if they do not answer, please leave a voice message.
Elementary schools would like parents to call in their students before 8:45 a.m.
- Is there consequences for having poor attendance?
Once your student/s are truant their case is sent to truancy court, and it’s up to the court to decide what happens next. You can be issued to serve community service to both parents and student/s, fines for both parents and student/s or have the student/s removed from the home and placed in foster care.
Steps on how to have good attendance
- Have your kid/s go to bed early to be able to wake up early for school
- Make sure they have reliable transportation
- Talk to your kid/s on the importance of showing up every day in school
- Try not to schedule Dr. Apts or other Apts during school time
- Communicate with your kids school to check their attendance
- Know your kid/s school attendance policy